Current therapeutic recreation programs offered:
· Club REC: A bi-weekly drop-in recreation program offered to youth and adult with severe and profound intellectual disabilities and offers a wide variety of activities.
· Therapeutic Aquatics
· Therapeutic Horseback Riding
· Therapeutic Music & Dance
· Animal Therapy
· Fishing and various outdoor recreation opportunities
Special Olympics Brunswick County:
Through sports training and competition, Special Olympics Brunswick County offers individuals with intellectual disabilities the opportunity to benefit mentally, physically and spiritually. Through Special Olympics participation, families are strengthened and the community at large, both through participation and observation, are united in understanding people with intellectual disabilities in an environment of equality, respect and acceptance.
Special Olympics Brunswick County participates in the following competitive sports:
· Alpine Skiing (January)
· Aquatics (January-May)
· Basketball (January-March)
· Bocce (September-November)
· Bowling (September-December)
· Golf (September-November)
· Soccer (August-November
· Softball (August-November)
· Track & Field (April, September-November)
· Volleyball (March-May)
Anyone interested in participating in Brunswick County Parks & Rec’s Special Populations program, both therapeutic and Special Olympics programs, should contact Steve Goodwin at 910-253-2679 or firstname.lastname@example.org for special program eligibility and registration information.